Saturday

Audemars Piguet



The discontinued Audemars Piguet Royal Oak reference 15300 - 39mm in stainless steel. G series (circa 2010) 

 From 1972, the Audemars Piguet Royal Oak came a long way to an ironic piece it is today. Designed by the legendary Gerard Genta - the octagonal bezel, the 18 karat white gold bezel bolts, the integration of the bracelet with the lugs was revolutionary. The detail work of the bracelet is exquisite and like an art form itself, it is a time consuming process that goes into finishing like this to this standard. Brushed satin finished with highest polishing standard, the beveled edges of the bracelet are mirrored polished, creating more depth and contrasting finish. It was always an enjoyment when I tilt my wrist to see how the bracelet catches and reflect light. 


 In 39mm, the proportions of this piece holds true to the "Jumbo", the very first Gerard Genta's Royal Oak to the original style and proportion guideline of the Royal Oak. The current production of the Self Winding Royal Oaks are in 41mm, which in my humble opinion does not look proportionally right and the cal 3120 movement looks too small with the 41mm case diameter. 


 The pictures shown are the actual piece on sale, it is in mint and excellent condition and it is keeping time well. Accompanied in a complete set - the wooden watch case, the cal 3120 manual, guarantee and authenticity booklet. The reason I am selling this piece off is because I have the ref 15202, Audemars Piguet 40th Anniversary "Jumbo" and I can't seem to get this piece off my wrist. There is something magical, and tranquil about it. Truth to be told, I don't see a point keeping this piece when I have THE Royal Oak. Not an 'A' series 5402, but close enough for me. :) 


 The watches I might be considering trading it for - the Patek Phillip ref 5167, the "Aquanaut" or Lange 1 (old movement) plus top up from me. If you had been contemplating on getting the Royal Oak but the ref 15400 is too big for your wrist, here is your chance. It had attained the "Legacy" status stated on the webpage, meaning it is no longer in production and had been discontinued. I am not rushing to sell as I know this piece in such a condition will only appreciate in value in time to come. I hope the next owner will appreciate this piece as much as I do. 








No comments:

Post a Comment